An overview of the evaluation criteria used by the ACTPHAST4.0 TCT is described below.
Each criterion is scored with a value from 0 (underperformed) to 5 (excellent). Each criterion has a certain weight. The score is multiplied with this weight. The individual score of the criteria indicated with an “*” should be at least 2,5. The total score should be at least 70 points (70/100). If these thresholds cannot be reached, the project cannot be accepted as is (but may be re-submitted for fresh evaluation with certain modifications made to overcome identified deficiencies in the proposal).
The innovative character of the project (weight: 0,5)
- Is the solution new in the market? *
- Is the project creating valuable IP / knowhow? *
- Can photonics be seen as a key enabling element in this project? *
The commitment by the company (weight: 1,5)
- The allocated manpower
- Trustability of commitment
- The level of financial commitment
Quality of the project team & project plan (weight: 2,0)
- Does the presented technological approach make sense in light of the stated project goals? *
- Are the proposed ACTPHAST 4.0 partners well positioned to carry out the developments? *
- Are the timeline, choice of deliverables and milestones well chosen? *
- Are the resources well justified? *
Fit with ACTPHAST4.0 KPIs (weight 1,0)
- Is the project initiating a new research collaboration for the company or a research collaboration with more than one partner?
- Is the company a non-photonics company?
The credibility of the company / dynamic & entrepreneurial character (weight 2,0)
- Has the company – or in the case of a start-up, its management team – a proven track record of bringing new products/solutions to the market?*
- Has the company access to other management and innovation knowhow that would give confidence over the ability to execute? *
- Has the company a proven track record of completing successfully public or public-private funded projects (e.g. FP-7, national programs, etc.)? *
The added value on the business level of the company (weight: 1,0)
- The Target Market (who are the target customers/segments; the purchasing decision-makers, etc.)? *
- The Market Validation (experience & relationships of the company with these customers; is the target market an existing or new one)? *
- The Route to Market (what channels will the company use to sell and deliver its products to its target customers?) *
- The Value Proposition (the competitive positioning and unique competitive advantage) *
- The Financial Aspects of the business plan (how will the company make the product at a competitive price to make acceptable profits? How will it finance getting product to market, and scaling its growth? What resources, activities and partners are necessary and when?) *